Thread: Pre-sales question: IPMI

Pre-sales question: IPMI

Hello! I'm looking at leasing one of the OVH servers which comes with IPMI remote access, probably the SP-64 or SP-128.

I have major concerns about IPMI security. ( for example: http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/06/0...ong-shelf-life )

I have other servers with SoftLayer and with Steadfast. At SoftLayer, IPMI access is behind their VPN, so it's not listening on the Internet. At Steadfast, the administrators are happy to keep my IPMI port disabled, and to enable and disable it as I require. Is either of those the case at OVH?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XanCharb View Post
    Hello! I'm looking at leasing one of the OVH servers which comes with IPMI remote access, probably the SP-64 or SP-128.

I have major concerns about IPMI security. ( for example: http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/06/0...ong-shelf-life )

I have other servers with SoftLayer and with Steadfast. At SoftLayer, IPMI access is behind their VPN, so it's not listening on the Internet. At Steadfast, the administrators are happy to keep my IPMI port disabled, and to enable and disable it as I require. Is either of those the case at OVH?

Thanks!
    Good day XanCharb,

Our IPMI are actually configured on a private network separated from Dedicated Servers network using a private VLAN for all the IPMI traffic fully secured via our network equipement.

There is two way you can access the IPMI connection:

1- Over a Java applet which generate and send you a .jnlp file valid for this session only. (This method let you use keyboard and mouse)

2- Over a webrowser via Serial over LAN that use a temporarly generated user valid for this session only.

Best Regards,

Jessy @ OVH

Sounds perfect. Thanks!

OVH do not supply any IPMI its a lie you geting only KVM window and they think thats

OVH Team
    Hello,

dani1001 is mistaken.

Regards
    Phil @ OVH

Can we speak on teh phone that and can i get IPMI for my server then? i have servers that suppose come with IPMI Supermicro login web interface only thing i get is the KVM from OVH manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil @ OVH View Post
    Hello,

dani1001 is mistaken.

Regards
    Phil @ OVH