We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Setting up a domain name to a server

Elochai
2016-11-10, 09:37 PM
Quote Originally Posted by HTMLtag
For PTR with OVH, just choose reverse dns in OVH's IP manager. You need an A entry for the IP in your registrar's DNS. Then wait a bit for it to propagate and set the same entry in OVH's IP manager. Who did you get your domain from?
Sorry for the late reply, got really busy with work and getting ready for a week vacation that starts tomorrow.

I have my domain with hosting dude. I think they are just an affiliate of go daddy but not 100% sure on that.

HTMLtag
2016-11-03, 12:51 PM
For PTR with OVH, just choose reverse dns in OVH's IP manager. You need an A entry for the IP in your registrar's DNS. Then wait a bit for it to propagate and set the same entry in OVH's IP manager. Who did you get your domain from?

Elochai
2016-11-02, 04:28 PM
Ok, my biggest issue is that I never did this before. So I really don't have a clue where to start or what to be going by. I guess what I'm saying is that I need step by step help on this. I'll look up the vhost thing when I get off work. But the DNS thing I don't know where to begin, if I need another VM to run the DNS then no problem, I'll create another VM server with another failover IP.

As for the PTR is their a guide here for that ?

HTMLtag
2016-11-02, 12:44 PM
A vhost is a configuration in your web server, Apache in your case. There are many guides online about it. It basically says this incomming host header should serve this resource.

The whois record is maintained by your registrar. Many registrars allow you to register nameserver aliases to your own domain, other times you can manually create ns records in their whois to point to their DNS server IPs. You can also host your own nameservers, but if you just have 1 server and your registar supports them, use them until you get used to managing DNS. If you do decide to host your own DNS server, I like PowerDNS a lot.

As far as setting up the PTR record, OVH allows you to assign reverse dns entries for IPs in their UI, For IP whois, OVH has a ui for assigning organizations to IPs.

Elochai
2016-11-01, 11:57 PM
I do have apache, php, and MySQL all setup on the VM which is running Ubuntu Server 16.04 on it.

I'm already doing a A record with my domain to point to the failover IP but I'd like to have it setup so that if you do a Whois lookup it say the domain name and the name servers to be the same as the domain name.

So how do I add the vhost ? And doing the DNS setup. Also what needs to be done for the reverse Whois? Do I just edit the control panel IP here at so you start with the domain name ?

HTMLtag
2016-11-01, 08:15 PM
Install a http server (Apache, NGINX, etc) on your server and configure a vhost for your domain/subdomains. You may need to open some firewall ports depending on the OS.
If your domain registrar has their own DNS hosting, I'd suggest just using that to get started and create an A entry for whatever subdomains you want to point to your server domainname, www, *, etc that points to your IP address.
Wait for the DNS to propagate, and it should work.
If you want to host your own DNS, it gets more complicated and I don't recommend hosting primary and failover on the same server or geo.
Whois data is entered by your registrar.
You may also want to setup PTR records on your IP from OVH... this is basically a reverse whois.

Elochai
2016-11-01, 01:51 PM
This is my first time doing this so any help would be great as I usually use website hosting services by 3rd parties.

I setup a VM to host a site for me, I have assigned an IP and MAC address. And I bought a domain name.

Now how to I setup the domain name so that it will find my website and if anyone does a whois, it will point back to my VM ?