We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Slackware netconfig

HTMLtag
2016-08-24, 07:47 PM
UPDATE:
Wow, VirtIO lilo was a pain... lucky for
Code:
http://tuts.masterize.me/2014/06/how-to-install-slackware-inside-kvm/
I configured it like normal through netconfig
failover ip, 255.255.255.255, host gw xxx.xxx.xxx.254, google dns 8.8.8.8

I added a route cmd to: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 above the "# At this point, we are ready to talk to The World..."
Code:
route add xxx.xxx.xxx.254 dev eth0 
route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.254
either reboot or manually run the route cmds.
Boom, net works

Make sure you assign a virtual mac to the IP you use.
Make sure to use the host's gateway, usually host IP for the first 3 octects and .254 for the last.

But the following post shows a different way to do it
Code:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-add-permanent-static-route-saved-between-reboot-4175455507/#post5017692
I think my way is easier though.

HTMLtag
2016-08-24, 06:37 PM
I would imagine it is the same as any other distro connected to a failover IP inside a hypervisor. Are you familiar with OVH's networking?

A brief summary
Get a failover ip
Get a MAC address for virtualization assigned to your ip
Assign the MAC address to your virtual's NIC (make sure it's on the right bridge)
Assign your IP to the VM, with a subnet of 255.255.255.255 and the gateway being your host server's gateway.
Broadcast should be same IP as the VM's.
Make sure that gateway is the default route.

I'm installing a test copy of slackware just to see if there are any issues.

24x7servermanagement
2016-08-23, 04:16 AM
Very difficult to find some expertise in slackware. do you have any specific requirements with slackware ? why not use Ubuntu or debian ?

baboo
2016-08-15, 05:38 PM
I have a dedicated server with proxmox installed. I created a KVM VM and installed Slackware. Even though I have installed this config hundreds of times on my old data center, I just can't get this to work. Has anybody configured Slackware for OVH? Sure could use an example.

thanks