We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

OVH sells crappy hardware?!

Elochai
2016-10-30, 05:13 PM
I don't see the issue either with OVH doing a recall on the part other then lacking to give you notice (but really 20 mins isn't to bad for down time.

But as for the parts they buy, I'm pretty sure you can see pictures of the parts going into the servers here as I have seen them and they're not cheap, mind you some are not the most expensive either but you got to keep cost reasonable.

My server going on for 2 years now and no parts have failed yet, and it gets high traffic everyday and even more so on weekends.

scsa20
2016-08-12, 05:21 PM
In all honestly I don't see what's wrong with OVH wanting to trying to make things right with the hardware that they own and that you're renting. You could give them a call or open a ticket with them asking them to work out a time that works for you and them to do the replacement if you need to, say, shut down the server is a particular way. and try to correlate with them instead of posting here on the forums. Just saying...

Phil @ OVH
2016-08-12, 09:20 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ftpdaemon
I just found out that OVH sold me crappy hardware - the server has hardly been in use and they want to replace parts of it, see the email at the end of this post.

What is more, they are so obnoxious that THEY are telling ME when they will shut down my server - they did not even ask when it will be convenient for me to replace their crap.

Incredible.

OVH, note this down - do not touch my server without my EXPLICIT approval. Do not shut down my server whenever you want. And compensate me for the crap you sold me.

------ OVH LAME EMAIL ------

You have been renting the n?624200 ns3624200.ip-149-202-202.eu server since 2016-02-28,
This server was produced on 2015-11-04 and installed in the sbg1 datacentre, in the 73B34 rack with the 149.202.202.48 IP

As a preventative and exceptional measure, we need to carry out some maintenance on your server to change the processor's cooler which was mounted on your server.

This was intended to cool CPU up to 130W for five years but it may become unreliable after three years.
For this reason we would prefer not to take any risks and to replace it with the new latest generation cooling system which guarantees up to 180W for 10 years.

We would like to carry out the maintenance on the 2016-08-03 at 01:00.
This will involve shutting down your server, changing the part and starting up your server again. The intervention should last between 13 and 17 minutes.

--------

Hello,

We're sorry to hear that you're upset with this situation. We are disappointed as well.

The cooler was recalled because of manufacturing issues. While it is still currently functioning at 100% efficiency, we wanted to replace it for you now, in order to avoid any problems in the future. We could have simply left the current one and hoped for the best, but that is not how we do things here at OVH. We strive to offer the best service possible, and to stop problems before they start.

We hope that this hasn't damaged your opinion of OVH. We only wanted to ensure the best functioning of your services.

Regards,
Phil

ftpdaemon
2016-07-29, 03:52 AM
I just found out that OVH sold me crappy hardware - the server has hardly been in use and they want to replace parts of it, see the email at the end of this post.

What is more, they are so obnoxious that THEY are telling ME when they will shut down my server - they did not even ask when it will be convenient for me to replace their crap.

Incredible.

OVH, note this down - do not touch my server without my EXPLICIT approval. Do not shut down my server whenever you want. And compensate me for the crap you sold me.

------ OVH LAME EMAIL ------

You have been renting the n?624200 ns3624200.ip-149-202-202.eu server since 2016-02-28,
This server was produced on 2015-11-04 and installed in the sbg1 datacentre, in the 73B34 rack with the 149.202.202.48 IP

As a preventative and exceptional measure, we need to carry out some maintenance on your server to change the processor's cooler which was mounted on your server.

This was intended to cool CPU up to 130W for five years but it may become unreliable after three years.
For this reason we would prefer not to take any risks and to replace it with the new latest generation cooling system which guarantees up to 180W for 10 years.

We would like to carry out the maintenance on the 2016-08-03 at 01:00.
This will involve shutting down your server, changing the part and starting up your server again. The intervention should last between 13 and 17 minutes.

--------