We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

XenServer OS recovery?

24x7servermanagement
2016-05-24, 03:56 AM
Here are my answers to your questions

1) If XenServer OS becomes corrupt, are my VM snapshots useless?

If OS gets corrupted or Fail for any reason you can still copy the VM snapshots to another location.

2) Is it possible to backup the XenServer installation in the event of a disaster?
Well you might have to consider using advance backup tools like R1soft which can take mounted drive image backups and restore it.

3) Is it possible to make a copy of the VM snapshots on OVHs backup service?
Yes this is also possible. You can FTP or manually copy the VM snapshots to OVHs backup service.

Disk can go bad anytime, OS recovery is usually not required as it can be re-installed and configured with Xenvirtualization. However what is important to have good condition VM snapshots which can be easily restored on the server .

stevena
2016-05-22, 11:23 PM
I have XenXerver installed on my dedicated server and configuring it and my VMs was a great deal of work. A hard disk or some other failure would be really a nightmare. All data is backed up on OVH's backup service, therefore my biggest concern is not the data recovery, it is OS recovery.

The server has 2 disks (no RAID). DISK1 is for Windows VMs and DISK2 is for Debian VMs. These are my biggest concerns at this time:

* I have no way to restore XenServer in the event of a bad hard disk or XenServer OS corruption.

* I take nightly snapshots of each VM. All snapshots are stored on DISK1.

QUESTIONS

1) If XenServer OS becomes corrupt, are my VM snapshots useless?

2) Is it possible to backup the XenServer installation in the event of a disaster?

3) Is it possible to make a copy of the VM snapshots on OVHs backup service?

I feel that I am wasting resources by taking snapshots of each VM each night. What I would really like to do is now that my VMs are fully configured and online, I would just like to take a single snapshot of each VM and store it on OVHs backup service along with XenServer. This way, if XenServer goes bad, I can restore XenServer. If some VM goes bad, I can restore the VM. If a disk goes bad, I can restore XenServer and the VMs.

So in a nutshell, I don't want my only option to be having to install XenServer and all VMs, configure all of it and load data from backup. With my current backup scheme, restoration could take a week or more.

Thanks for your comments.