We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

i can't point my domain to ovh vps

jefathey
2016-05-14, 08:14 AM
now iam in namecheap
and i have created custom dns nameservers
ns1 and ns2
how to configure it on vps i don't have any control panel just command lins
thanks

scsa20
2016-05-10, 11:47 PM
Cool, at least with NameCheap we can make DNS setting changes

jefathey
2016-05-07, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your replay
hostgator don't provide any thing only from their cpanel so i have to keep hosting paln
i transferd my domain to namecheap and iam waiting to complete the transfare proccess
thanks again

scsa20
2016-05-07, 03:38 AM
First off, I don't know what kind of environment HostGator has for their domain parking only. I don't know if they use WHM or just plain cPanel or if they have something completely different setup since their help document sucks so I would probably suggest transferring the domain out to Google Domains or GoDaddy or any number of other places that just park domains and lets you change the DNS settings.

Alternatively you can also sign up for DNS hosting (NameCheap provides free DNS Hosting it looks like) that just do DNS.

Second, the way you setup the SSL depends on your environment, if you're using a control panel, what kind of SSL cert you're using, etc.

Anyways, the general ideal is this. I'm going to assume that you're not running a DNS server on your VPS because 1) you will need 2 IP addresses and 2) you need to be able to create a GLUE record with your register which, once again, not sure if HostGator will allow you to, I would think it's possible if you're under WHM but again, I don't know enough about HostGator nor your plan to know) and 3) yes you can still run your own DNS server on your VPS and use OVH's nameserver as a secondary but since you're new we'll go the easy route. So using this assumation, what you want to do is create an A record that points to the IP address of your VPS. That's it. You should be able to do this through HostGator if you're given the option to make the DNS changes.

In terms of the SSL, again, need more information about your environment such as are you using a control panel (cPanel+WHM, Plesk, etc), OS, etc.

Yes, I might come off harsh but the more information the better to point you in the right direction for doing what you want to do.

jefathey
2016-05-06, 07:26 AM
hi
first i'm realy noob
so please help me
i have my vps installed and every thing allright now i want to point my domain name which in hostgator it was in a business plan and have ssl certificate for two years any way i want to point this domain to my vps
i didn't understand any thing from this http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-dns-con...own-dns-server
and how i'll setup the ssl to this :/
thank you