We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Cannot Access Machine After Modifying Files.

HTMLtag
2016-04-10, 08:46 PM
What OS are you using? I run an Ark Survival Server on a Proxmox KVM Debian VM with no problems.

Are you sure you edited the limit files properly?

As Phil suggested, boot into rescue mode, and first try undoing what you did, and seeing if it allows you in.

Phil @ OVH
2016-04-08, 07:48 PM
Hello,

I would recommend that you try booting your server in Rescue Mode and see if you can correct the configuration issue that way. Here is a guide on using our rescue mode: http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-ovh-rescue.html

Let us know if you still require assistance.

Regards,
Phil C.

OmgItsCharlesB
2016-04-07, 04:49 PM
Hello,

I was recently trying to setup an "Ark Survival Evolved" server on the SoYouStart machine I've been using, and following a well known tutorial it told me to do the following:

First edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf and change or add the following line:

fs.file-max=100000

Next you need to edit the file /etc/security/limits.conf and set the limits to the same value you used in the previous step. Change or add the following lines as necessary:

* soft nofile 100000
* hard nofile 100000

The final setp is to edit the file /etc/pam.d/common-session and then add or edit the following line:

session required pam_limits.so

At this point you should restart the computer, so that all of the changes are applied correctly. Once you have restarted the computer, open a terminal window and enter the following command:

ulimit -a

What you want to check is where it says Open Files and make sure it says 100000, or the value you used in the steps above if you changed it to something higher.
After doing this and rebooting my machine, I no longer am able to log into it at all, through SSH such as putty, nor filezilla,

How can I go about resolving this and regaining access to the machine once more?