We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Setting up domain for anti-spam

DaveX64
2016-03-08, 12:01 PM
Okay, thanks SCSA20...I'll give it a try over a holiday weekend in case I screw something up

scsa20
2016-03-08, 10:29 AM
Those are MX records, not A records.

And yes you're going to want to remove any pre-existing MX records otherwise spam might still slip through depending on the weight of the old records that you've never removed.

And not too sure what you mean by manually installed clients but if I have to guess what you're talking about, you're talking about email clients? If so, no, it has no bearing with the email clients since your email clients connects to the exchange a different way, the only thing a MX record does is tell how the email is routed to the server (in this case, route through the spam filter first, then the spam filter service will look through the email to see if it's considered spam or legit and routes the email to the final server).

DaveX64
2016-03-08, 08:06 AM
Hello OVH,

I would like to turn on the anti-spam features of my Exchange accounts...it says that if I have enabled anti-spam on at least one of my accounts, then I have to enable some 'MX fields' in my domain:

Priority: 1, target: mx1.mail.ovh.ca
Priority: 5, target: mx2.mail.ovh.ca
Priority: 50, target: mx3.mail.ovh.ca
Priority: 100, target: mx4.mail.ovh.ca

...my question is, are these entries MX records or plain old (A)ddress records?

Also, if I change to the anti-spam records, should I delete the existing MX Record:

Priority: 1, target: ex.mail.ovh.ca

...and will that mess up some manually installed clients?

Regards,

Dave