We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Is it possible to change the filesystem without format

HTMLtag
2016-03-02, 11:35 PM
Really only formatting and recovering data to it are the options. I don't know of any other way to convert the FS.
Some can be converted in place, but not going to the filesystems you need.

Zorba
2016-02-28, 02:36 AM
Quote Originally Posted by HTMLtag
GFS and XFS are probably file systems you are going to want.
You could also try some distributed virtual file systems that work like an object DB instead of a filesystem.

The best way to potentially convert a file system that is in use, is to mount it via recovery console or another bootable medium (if you have kvm support) and use the tar cmd to back it up and temp store it somewhere else. Then format to the new file system and untar the files to the proper locations.
You will need to edit things like fstab to point to the correct partition and filesystem type.

You may be able to use something like LVM and create another drive to store your tar on.
Make your filesystem, untar to it, and then do an LVM expansion to include the additional space.

In all honesty, I would probably not use the 72-t as a single large file system without having a redundant and failover raid configuration which overall reduces the amount of storage you have available.
Thanx for reply...

You've mentioned a lot of solutions. I'll try first by GFS and XFS ...

So there is no possibility to change the filesystem of home directory ( which includes now the total accessible storage 16 Tb ) and include the additional space ( after I recover it ) in it without a need to format that directory ?

HTMLtag
2016-02-27, 08:46 PM
GFS and XFS are probably file systems you are going to want.
You could also try some distributed virtual file systems that work like an object DB instead of a filesystem.

The best way to potentially convert a file system that is in use, is to mount it via recovery console or another bootable medium (if you have kvm support) and use the tar cmd to back it up and temp store it somewhere else. Then format to the new file system and untar the files to the proper locations.
You will need to edit things like fstab to point to the correct partition and filesystem type.

You may be able to use something like LVM and create another drive to store your tar on.
Make your filesystem, untar to it, and then do an LVM expansion to include the additional space.

In all honesty, I would probably not use the 72-t as a single large file system without having a redundant and failover raid configuration which overall reduces the amount of storage you have available.

Zorba
2016-02-27, 01:54 PM
Hello

I ordered a dedicated server two days ago, it's " FS-72T " , I installed ( Centos 6 ) over it " ovh release " , and after Installing a lot of packages and modules for my work I found out that the filesystem that installed which it's ext3 doesn't show more than 16 TB in /home ...
So now I need to change the filesystem to show the total 12 hard disks capacity ( 72 TB ) , is it possible without format and by keeping the current OS ( centos 6 ) ? , if yes what is the filesystem I have to install to get the total capacity ?
If no, what is the best OS that allows me to get the total capacity if I have to reinstall the OS ?