We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Possible to change Ip on the VPS

Nebuula
2016-02-24, 09:09 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Phil @ OVH
Hello,

We do not change the primary IP address on our VPS products. You should make sure your firewall rules are set up to block all unused ports, this will go a long way to mitigate the attacks you're receiving.

Regards,
Phil C.
Yes this is the step I am stuck on. I am new to configuring anything such as this, and am having trouble with the process. Someone from support has been kind enough to walk me through it but somehow I still screw it up.

Basically they say:
What you have to do is allow the TCP (SYN + Established) and UDP packets your services need to work and block all other traffic. For example, with these three rules you can allow http (port 80) connections and block any other tcp traffic. Notice that you have to add 1 allow rule for each tcp port your services use (https, smtp, etc.) with the SYN flag set:

- Priority: 0 - Action: Authorize - Protocol: TCP - Source IP: Blank - Source port: Blank - Destination port: 80 - Flags: SYN
- Priority: 1 - Action: Authorize - Protocol: TCP - Source IP: Blank - Source port: Blank - Destination port: Blank - Flags: Established

The same is required for the UDP traffic, the only difference is that there is no SYN/Established flags and you only need to add one rule for each UDP port you want to allow.
Finally, complete you configuration with the following rule:
- Priority: 19 - Action: Refuse - Protocol: IPv4 - Source IP: Blank - Source port: Blank - Destination port: Blank
OK - so after trying this, I reboot my vps and go to log in. "Cannot connect to server, make sure remote access is enabled" along with a few other options. I try a few more times, until giving up and deleting the rules I added to ovh firewall.

I am able to log in to my vps again remotely.

So what am I missing? The only things I run on my vps are steam and a game. I don't know what I need to add to the firewall aside from the above suggested ones to make this all work smoothly. I have read on the steam forums about the game I am trying to host a server on that you need "Port Forwarding ON for both TCP and UDP ports 7777 and 27015" but I don't know what to do with this information.

I am also confused as to why the additions mentioned earlier are locking me out of remote access,

Any help is greatly appreciated, I feel I am becoming a bother to support and that is not my intention

Phil @ OVH
2016-02-22, 05:43 PM
Hello,

We do not change the primary IP address on our VPS products. You should make sure your firewall rules are set up to block all unused ports, this will go a long way to mitigate the attacks you're receiving.

Regards,
Phil C.

Nebuula
2016-02-21, 06:51 PM
I am experiencing heavy DDoS attacks and was curious if there is a way to change the IP address other than calling my ISP