We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

A few random questions about renting a deticated game server

HTMLtag
2016-01-30, 12:39 AM
What virtualization tech are you looking at using?

Your IPs are a 1-time setup fee up to the number mentioned for your server. Typically 16.
After 16, you pay monthly fees for additional IPs. Some packages don't support additional ips.
As far as swapping out IPs, as if abuse or attacked... they don't really do that.

HonestHarley
2016-01-28, 03:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by scsa20
Depending on which dedicated game server you get it's possible but you're looking at a higher level one.

And you need to order the additional IP address (last time I've heard it's $3 per IP address 1 time charge).

And for installing Windows 7, you are welcome to try but the templates that available is for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2. You'd be better off using a Linux OS anyways since it uses less resources and can install a virtual machine where you can install windows 7 to if a game server only works on windows 7.

And I do believe that the CPU is going to be stock, trying to overclock it is not recommended for a server (even more so for a server that's not physically accessible by you and would have to wait for someone from OVH to intervene which they might also do something about it since I don't think they allow for overclocking of their servers).

If I'm wrong with any of this, I'm sure someone will correct me (and please do correct me if I'm wrong on any of this).
Hey thanks alot! I'm looking at this one

GAME-2 Intel i7 4790K 4 c/ 8 t 4 GHz+ 32 GB
1333 MHz 240 GB SSD Up to 16 protected IPs*

I'd get a more expensive server but I don't know much about xeon cpus. I'm reading that I should use the E5 family because they have integrated gpu's.

. I'm basically trying to run 10 games on a intel i7 or 20 path of exile games on a xeon expensive server. I've tweaked the settings where my i7 3700k cpu (computer at home) can run 8 overclocked to 4.5ghz (all on seperate vm's) so I'm thinking a i7 4790k (even though its not overclocked) may run me 10 games.

A question about ips also. So the stock price would come with 1 ip, then I'd have to buy each ip for 3$? So I should plan on adding 10 x 3 = 30$ on top? If i buy the ip's, is it a one time fee? or is it a reaccuring monthly fee? What if I need to swap out ip's, would that cost extra?

Sorry about all the questions. Ive built a computer before, messed around a whole lot, but I'm still sort of a novice about the details.

scsa20
2016-01-28, 02:12 PM
Depending on which dedicated game server you get it's possible but you're looking at a higher level one.

And you need to order the additional IP address (last time I've heard it's $3 per IP address 1 time charge).

And for installing Windows 7, you are welcome to try but the templates that available is for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2. You'd be better off using a Linux OS anyways since it uses less resources and can install a virtual machine where you can install windows 7 to if a game server only works on windows 7.

And I do believe that the CPU is going to be stock, trying to overclock it is not recommended for a server (even more so for a server that's not physically accessible by you and would have to wait for someone from OVH to intervene which they might also do something about it since I don't think they allow for overclocking of their servers).

If I'm wrong with any of this, I'm sure someone will correct me (and please do correct me if I'm wrong on any of this).

HonestHarley
2016-01-28, 12:31 PM
I wanted to rent out a deticated game server, run 10 virtual machines on them, each with there own ip. Is that possible?

It says "Up to 16 protected IPs*" next to the purchase option, does that mean I get 16 ip's for my game server?

Also can I install windows 7 on it by myself? And also, is the cpu stock, or can i boost it up?

I'm going to use it to run 10 games on it at once, using 10 vitrual machines. I'm thinking of using linux with wine, but a windows 7 would be alot easier to set up since I'm familiar with the operating system.