We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

First timer noob questions :p

VincentE
2016-01-14, 11:04 AM
Awesome, Thank you some much for your help. I've played around and made sure my game servers are compatible with some linux distros on vmware before. I was planning on Using linux ubuntu on my server.

What distro do you recommend?

I assume I will need to access the gui though ssh right?

Is ubuntu gnome 15.10, linux kde a supported OS by ovh?

scsa20
2016-01-14, 10:18 AM
>will i need a control panel like cpanel or plesk?

No, in fact since you'll be running a game server it's recommended that you don't run one of those panels because they can be resource heavy and are more designed for web hosting and not hosting game servers

>is screen connection against the terms of service?

No, you can use a remote control connection using something like TeamViewer but like I said before, you'll need a GUI installed (like KDE or GNOME)

>could i install teamviewer and other programs like filezilla though ssh?

Yes, like I said before, for remote control connection using something like TeamViewer, you'll need to have a GUI installed (like KDE or GNOME)

>would something like GamePanelX work fine for me?

That depends on your needs. I would recommend that you take your time to research each panel designed for monitoring/managing gaming servers and pick which one works for your needs. I would also recommend installing something like VirtualBox on your computer and install different distros with the different control panel types and play around with them so you get the feel of how they are handled so you know which one to go with.

VincentE
2016-01-14, 09:42 AM
Thank you for your answers but now i have some more questions

>will i need a control panel like cpanel or plesk?

>is screen connection against the terms of service?

>could i install teamviewer and other programs like filezilla though ssh?

>would something like GamePanelX work fine for me?

scsa20
2016-01-13, 08:32 PM
>can i have multiple game servers running on the same machine all with there own ip address?

Yes and no, it really depends on which server you get and which game server you're planning on running will depend on how many game servers you can run. You can typically install a virtual machine and assign each virtual machine with an IP address so they're truly sperate

>is port forwarding done automatically by the data center?

The only firewall is whatever firewall you have running on your dedicate server (or what ever virtual machine server that you're running) minus the DDoS protection that OVH has.

>how would i upload and start/stop my servers?

If you're talking about your game servers, you'll need to either install a control panel that supports controlling the game servers or SSH into the server and use bash commands.

>is screen connection possible with programs like teamviewer?

You will more likely be using a Linux distro (if you want to be able to use windows is an extra cost or you'll have to provide your own SPLA) so you'll need to manually install VNC and depending on which distro you choose to install you might need to install a GUI as well but it's possible.

>will i have to provide my own OS or will ovh provide me with one?

You do not provide your own OS, OVH has a list of different OS templates available for you to choose from that you can change out at any time. Note that the free OS are Linux/BSD, if you want to use Windows, you'll need to pay extra for it or add your own SPLA license if the server allows for it.

>am i allowed to run virtual machines on my server?

Yes

>i am familiar with simple control panels from game hosting providers but how do dedicated server web consoles work?

The only console you have will be to order and assign additional IP address, add/manage some licenses (like cPanel or Plesk Panel or SPLA licenses), reinstall the OS, reboot the server, boot to recovery mode, etc. There is nothing about managing the game servers itself, those are all on you to provide since OVH will not help with anything software and each configuration will be different depending on how you do the configuration.

>will i have to provide my own web console?

For your game servers so you don't have to SSH? yes

>is ddos protection always on?

iirc yes but you can always put it into mitigation permanently as well if there's something off and getting a lot more traffic then the anti-ddos protection isn't catching but I'm sure someone else who would know about that be able to answer that for you.

>is there unlimited data or is there a data cap?

Didn't see anything about a data cap but I don't know for sure, I'll leave this for someone else to answer as well.

>what kind of server should i rent?(Game/Hosting/Enterprise/Ect...)

The game server provides a better level of anti-ddos and those server ranges are designed to be acting as a game server but in all honestly any of them will work just fine. You will want to choose the server based off of the game server requirements and how many servers you're planning on running.

VincentE
2016-01-13, 11:24 AM
I've been looking into renting a dedicated server for my small gaming business. I am currently operating 3 separate Garry's mod Dark Rp servers with nfoservers.com, its rather expensive, the service is poor and I am also looking to expand to other games like Rust, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO and Minecraft. Many of my friends have suggested renting a dedicated machine/server, but I have never rented one before so i don't really know if its the best thing and what to expect. so naturally i have many questions about owning and operating a dedicated server. So here they are...

>can i have multiple game servers running on the same machine all with there own ip address?

>is port forwarding done automatically by the data center?

>how would i upload and start/stop my servers?

>is screen connection possible with programs like teamviewer?

>will i have to provide my own OS or will ovh provide me with one?

>am i allowed to run virtual machines on my server?

>i am familiar with simple control panels from game hosting providers but how do dedicated server web consoles work?

>will i have to provide my own web console?

>is ddos protection always on?

>is there unlimited data or is there a data cap?

>what kind of server should i rent?(Game/Hosting/Enterprise/Ect...)

I am a fast learner and this is about it for now, if you have any suggestions let me know and if there is anything i left out please let me know.