We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I think I missed the point

MagicCamera
2016-01-06, 05:48 PM
Update: Sometimes flogging a dead horse can leave one drained.
However, not to be beaten, went with Proxmox for now.

MagicCamera
2016-01-05, 12:56 AM
Something outstanding: phpvirtualbox.

The genius that wrote this software ought to be Knighted by the Queen!

More to follow, this is exactly a replica of my Home based VirtualBox GUI on mac desktop but via web interface on a headless server. Totally outstanding. It even generates info about the host server that will help me figure out how to virtually bridge the VMs. But internet access is broken with hostonly network... bridging is impossible because you can't bridge the eth0 on the host. And the MAC restrictions might require some spoofing tricks.

HTMLtag
2016-01-04, 11:14 PM
I do pretty much only Virtualization on my OVH boxes.
They work great, but there are some things you need to get a grasp on.

First, you need multiple IP's if not using NAT. I am going to assume you have more than 1.
You then need to register a virtual mac on the IP and create a vm bridge.
In your VM that is assigned to the Bridge, you will assign it the Virtual MAC address assigned and configure the network using the OVH way, gateway = server host ip.254, 255.255.255.255 subnet, etc.
It should then work.

I highly recommend you dropping what you're working on and installing Proxmox. It uses KVM and Linux Containers as VM Tech and is Free (With disablement nag screen on sign-on for support license if you don't want to keep using the free community version) and has a great web interface for managing most things.
OVH even has a install template for it.

I can try to help get you started if you have trouble, just PM me.

MagicCamera
2016-01-04, 09:33 PM
Update: Determination pays off, sort of...

I decided to install Oracle's VirtualBox and connect use VRDE for accessing initial consoles when installing VMs. It took a few attempts to get VirtualBox to stop complaining about the correct kernel. Turns out you need select the distribution kernel when re-installing. Bottom line is I am 75% closer to my goal. I am used to VirtualBox GUI on home computer, so learning to use it via CLI is a challenge but not outside the realm of my ability. I've had success remotely accessing an initial VM installing Ubuntu Server, but bridging through VirtualBox doesn't quite work. I could have missed a few steps when creating the vm data file. Anyway I still need help with setting up something that will allow me to use my FailOvers but I am concerned that the MAC address assignments in the SyS control panel will not be compatible as they only allow VMWare or OVH mac addresses. Still, not to be beaten down by such matters, I will keep going and report back with a mini tutorial for those of you wishing to do the same.

The only thing I need to figure out is how to properly network the VMs

For now I have a Guest VM running with the VBox default nat network, which means it can reach the internet but can't be reached from the internet nor my host SyS server via terminal. Only way I can control it is using vrde and Microsoft Remote Desktop app for Mac on my home computer, that is just a temporary connection using VBoxHeadless startvm --vrde on which ticks over until you cancel the command.

It's a step in the right direction I guess. Now to see if I can hook up some kind of openvswitch to create a virtual bridge of some sort.

MagicCamera
2016-01-03, 03:11 PM
I have been trying to set up an Ubuntu server where I can create either LXC containers or KVM boxes and utilize my IP failovers to point to individual VMs. But for the life of me I can't get that to work. I tried using libvirt-bin, then libvirt-bin with openvswitch, but every reference I read requires the eth0 to be bridged and with SoYouStart servers seem to break when I do that resulting in my need to reinstall.

I think I have misunderstood the point of these servers being cheap, because if I install VMWare, I have to fork out more money for a license, and it seems that only VMWare/Citrix Xen and Hyper V are the only servers supported.

Has anyone been successful in creating a dedicated server that has a few VMs using KVM or LXC and if so have you been able to use Failover IPs to directly connect to the VMs?

I'm at a loss as to where to go from here because I wont get my money back from SyS if I cancel.

Any help would be most appreciated.