We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Domain Assistance

50hunnit
2015-12-19, 10:28 AM
Quote Originally Posted by scsa20
No such thing as Apache 15.04, do you mean Ubuntu Server 15.04?

Need to know what you've done to the server so far in terms of installing the web server (apache) or PHP. Or did you installed the LAMP stack.

To be perfectly honest, if you've never put together a web server from scratch before, it'll be a lot easier to use Release 3 OVH which is a free control panel that provides you with the basics you need for running a web site including getting all of the virtual hosts configured. If you have a cloud VPS server you can also go with Plesk Panel for free (for the Web Admin version) or get one of the higher level of plesk for a little extra per month or go with cPanel. All of which will make your life a lot easier with getting your site up and going.
I've worked with servers before. I've Just always hosted them myself and yes I meant Ubuntu Server 15.04. I simply installed Apache 2 with the following command -

sudo apt-get install apache2
In the future I will need LAMP, but I only installed Apache as of now. This shouldn't be interfering with my domain, should it?

scsa20
2015-12-19, 01:46 AM
No such thing as Apache 15.04, do you mean Ubuntu Server 15.04?

Need to know what you've done to the server so far in terms of installing the web server (apache) or PHP. Or did you installed the LAMP stack.

To be perfectly honest, if you've never put together a web server from scratch before, it'll be a lot easier to use Release 3 OVH which is a free control panel that provides you with the basics you need for running a web site including getting all of the virtual hosts configured. If you have a cloud VPS server you can also go with Plesk Panel for free (for the Web Admin version) or get one of the higher level of plesk for a little extra per month or go with cPanel. All of which will make your life a lot easier with getting your site up and going.

50hunnit
2015-12-18, 11:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by scsa20
What OS are you using on your VPS? Did you setup a virtual host for said domain on the server? Apache, Nginx or IIS? So many information left out for us to help you. We need more details about your setup if you want help.
I'm using Apache 15.04. And no, I'm not quite sure how to set up a virtual host for the domain. And for the information, sorry for being vague, I'm somewhat new to this domain stuff. Feel free to ask any questions.

scsa20
2015-12-18, 10:56 PM
What OS are you using on your VPS? Did you setup a virtual host for said domain on the server? Apache, Nginx or IIS? So many information left out for us to help you. We need more details about your setup if you want help.

50hunnit
2015-12-18, 10:37 PM
I recently purchased a VPS from OVH and a domain from NO-IP. It's been about two days and both things are activated. The VPS works, but I cannot get the domain to connect to my server. On NO-IP, I'm trying to use DNS Host (A). I then put my server's numeric IP address where it says IP address(Ex 123.32.2.12). When connecting directly to the server's IP address it works fine, but when using the domain it times out. I also changed my reverse DNS to the domain not knowing what I was doing, is this bad?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.