We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

ESXi Network Configuration Problems

James @ OVH
2015-12-15, 10:11 AM
Hello Blizzard098,

Thanks for contacting us,

OVH servers do not use traditional networking, we have a pretty unique way of setting up IP addresses. Some tweaking is required to have your virtual machines communicate on our network.

We have guides to help with this setup on our docs page: http://docs.ovh.ca/en/

For your specific case please refer to this guide: http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-network-bridging.html

If you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks and have a great day!

James @ OVH

Blizzard098
2015-12-14, 05:19 PM
Hello I am a fairly new user to ESXi hypervisors. I had recently had a server brought from So you start in France which was running ESXi 6.0. I bought 4 ips for my 4 vms that I wanted to deploy. For my configuration I did the following:

The IP Address was 149.202.5.132 for the subnet (net) mask 255.255.255.0 and for the gateway I chose 149.202.5.254. I had done this for all four of my vms simply changing my ip address to the one of the four that So You Start had given me. Recently I changed host to one in North America (Canada) and I had bought the 4 ip's again. For the configuration I did the following:

For the one of the IPs I chose 158.69.33.177 I chose the same subnet mask as before and for the default gateway I chose 158.69.33.254. When I went to go online with this configuration it didn't work. I contacted So You Start support and they said to changed the gateway to my main servers IP with .254 at the end which gave me the following gateway 192.99.35.254. This worked on my Ubuntu machine and I was able to connect to the Internet. However, when I went to install Debian using the same configuration but a different IP it said the gateway was unreachable. I then had tried using the way I did it on my machine in France by taking the Fall Over IP and adding .254 to the end. This still didn't work and Debian said it was an unreachable gateway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.