We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Install XEN or other VM Software on new dedicated server

HTMLtag
2015-12-08, 05:35 PM
stevena:
It really depends on the server you get.
Since you're looking at a smaller number of IP's this is fairly universal information for all but the Kimsufi line (which only get 1 ip).

They do not charge you monthly fees for your IPs anymore. You pay a one time setup fee of $3 per ip.

With your virtual machines, for most things, you can share an IP for each service, per VM.
SSL certificates that do not have wildcard or multiple subject support require a different IP for each domain/address.
Game servers that use the same port, and you don't want to define non-standard ports need their own IP.
Anonymous FTP services need their own IP.

Since you were mentioning 2 VM's Windows and Debian, you will need a minimum of 3 IPs.
- Host IP
- Debian IP
- Windows IP
Your server comes with the host IP. You will only need to get 2 additional IP's for $6.

If one is a web server, you can setup vhosts (virtual hosts) and have many domains/subdomains on the same IP.
Your email services, ssh or other things can be on that IP also, but I like to separate service stuff.

Technically you can get away with having only 1 IP, but you have to do fancy networking, routing, and iptables with internal NAT.

Just as another FYI: OVH usually requires manual validation if you need more than 4 IPs, even if the server supports more.
Just give support a call and they can quickly increase your threshold. Don't email or submit a ticket, just a quick call. It takes forever via email/support ticket.

BHS (Canada Datacenter) supports IP Geolocation for Canada and US. Canada IP's you can get in blocks, US need to get 1 at a time.
If you don't plan on having more than 16 ip's added to the server, getting 1 at a time is the best way to allocate them.

The IPs are called failover IP, but you can use them for VM. Their original use case is if you have multiple servers with OVH in the same datacenter, you could quickly migrate an IP to a different server you own, in case of downtime, etc.

You will need to assign a Virtual Mac Address for your VM's IP and make sure it is configured in the hypervisor. For anything, non-vmware, you can use ovh type ip. If using Proxmox/KVM, VirtualBox, etc, use OVH IP mode. It's a drop down when you assign a virtual IP. Don't worry if you mess up, you can always delete the Virtual MAC and add it. VMware only supports a limited range of MAC Addresses.

Ignore the parking fee, unless you're just hording IP's.

Your server also comes with a huge block of IPv6 IPs for free.
If you don't need IPv4, then there are no fees.
I don't think the world is ready for IPv6 only services though.

stevena
2015-12-08, 12:59 PM
HtmlTag, thank you for responding. I am confused by OVH's cost for IP addresses. I would need a total of 3 dedicated IPs for 3 different internet accessible web services that must have their own dedicated IP. Do you know what the cost would be?

This is the page in question: https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/free-ips.xml

Thank you

HTMLtag
2015-12-07, 12:29 PM
I highly recommend installing the Free Proxmox Hypervisor.
It's mostly based off KVM and has nice web interfaces for doing everything.
You can install what you want on it, but you're responsible for making sure it's licensed properly.
OVH's networking can be a little confusing for beginners.
PM me if you need help.

Proxmox is free, but they by default have a nag screen and need a license to use the commercial "stable" repository.
You should just enable the community repository and ignore the js msg that pops up during login. You can disable it with a modification to the code. That's the beauty of open source.

stevena
2015-12-06, 06:17 PM
I see in the 'Licensing' section found under the 'Dedicated Servers' menu option that XEN is available at no cost:

https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-ser...xenserver6.xml

I am assuming that when the order for the server is placed, I will have an option to select this item. If this is the case, how do I connect to XEN remotely so that I can install Debian Server and W2012 Server as VM's?

stevena
2015-12-06, 05:35 PM
I would like to lease a dedicated server and install XEN (or any other VM) on it so that I can run both Debinan and Windows 2012 servers.

I have never installed an OS remotely but I am able to install XEN/Debian/Windows on a local PC that I have. Since I would be doing this remotely, I have no idea as to what steps are necessary or what support OVH offers for this kind of setup.

1) Does OVH have an option that preinstalls XEN (or other) on your server?

2) Once XEN (or other) is installed, how will I remotely connect to this server to allow me to begin the Debian and Windows 2012 installations?

Once I have both OSs installed, I know how to connect to and configure them but getting them installed remotely is my problem.

I mentioned XEN only because that is the only VM software that I have tinkered with.

Any suggestions to get me started would be appreciated. Thank you.