We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Slow Transfer Speed Roulette - Peering Issue?

GetSchwifty
2015-09-11, 04:00 PM
Thank you, Phil!

Phil @ OVH
2015-09-11, 09:58 AM
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with the connection of your server. In order for us to look into this issue for you, we would need more information on the problem. I would ask that you please send us the following information:

-Results of a ping on your server.
-Results of a traceroute (preferably done with MTR) from your local host to your server.
-Results of a traceroute (preferably done with MTR) from your server to your local host.
-Results of the following command: iperf -c proof.ovh.ca -P 5 -r

Send us all the results (or screenshots of the results) through a support ticket, and we'll be able to investigate the matter.

Regards,
Phil C.

GetSchwifty
2015-09-10, 07:53 PM
I've been experiencing extremely slow transfer speeds (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SFTP, and FTP over TLS) much of the time when downloading from my Kimsufi server, and I've noticed a strange phenomena where if I start a transfer I have say a 1 in 8 chance of getting a fast connection downloading at more or less a full 100 megabits. Every other time I'm only getting ~2 or less. If I stop and restart the transfer a number of times, it will eventually get a good connection and stay that way.

Running the speed test to the Quebec datacenter consistently gives me roughly the full 250 megabits of my home connection, so that's not the problem.

I'm assuming this may be due to some kind of bottleneck in one of the routes which the connection is taking most of the time, but my networking knowledge isn't particularly great so that's just a guess.

Anybody else have any similar problems?