We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

VPS download/upload speeds

Phil @ OVH
2015-08-18, 09:55 PM
Hello,

The reason we ask you for those tests is that they will let us know where the problem is occurring in the routing. We need that information to resolve the issue. We monitor servers from an external source. We cannot run tests on your machine from our monitoring tools. Your machine is secured to you, we do not have backdoor access to it.

The tests you've run on Speedtest.net show that there are no general network issues. We will gladly look into the issue for you, but we need the information to do it.

Regards,
Phil C.

voarsh
2015-08-18, 08:25 AM
I've been with many hosting companies, none have such an issue with network.
I ran a test on dsl, same, issue, but getting 500 KBs average.

It's a same, the machine is pretty fast, seems reliable, but I can't live with OVH's internet speeds...

Quote Originally Posted by scsa20
You do have to remember that the speeds will vary depending on the other end's server as they might have a cap. When doing a speed test you're just testing the whole all burst speed.

Feel free to go to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and run a test from there as well and link back but the chances are it's the other servers that's bogging it down and not OVH's network.

scsa20
2015-08-17, 06:47 PM
You do have to remember that the speeds will vary depending on the other end's server as they might have a cap. When doing a speed test you're just testing the whole all burst speed.

Feel free to go to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and run a test from there as well and link back but the chances are it's the other servers that's bogging it down and not OVH's network.

voarsh
2015-08-17, 05:05 PM
Finally got my blasted VPS up and running after waiting two days for my order.

I thought, hey! Why don't I download some necessary development programs such as GitHub (only 54 MBs) and see how it goes.
Boy, I didn't think it would be so hard, but it was downloading at around 51/100 kbs per sec. (then failed at when it got to 500 KBs.)

I went to: speedtest.net and apparently have download speeds of 101 MBs per/sec but couldn't see any evidence of that whatsoever.
Of course I went to support and they told me to run a whole bunch of useless tests (like they don't already know they have network performance issues). The internet is so slow that I was too impatient to wait for the darn WinMTR test (ZIP form) to download on the machine to run their tests they could do themselves, on the machine(s) they 'monitor'.....