We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Cloud VPS for a server with Java running?

xjetc
2015-08-04, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've purchased a VPS.

James @ OVH
2015-08-03, 03:37 PM
Hi xjetc,

1) As mentioned by scsa20, you will have the set specs assigned to your VPS. You will not be able to surpass these specifications.
If you require additional resources you may upgrade to a higher model VPS at the click of a button.

2) OVH will not throttle your usage.

3) The entire 4GB is dedicated to your VPS. The resources that we advertise are dedicated to each individual VPS.

4) OVH has no restrictions on the firewall rules that you implement. Anti-DDoS protection is included with all of our servers.

5) OVH only monitors outgoing bandwidth, any incoming traffic will not count towards the 10Tb.

Thanks & please let me know if you have any additional questions.

James @ OVH

scsa20
2015-08-02, 04:32 PM
1) It's a Virtual Private Server (VPS), so you're limited to the CPU usage that's been assign to your VPS so it won't bong down any of the others that's hosted on the host server
2) Doubt it since only a bit of the host server's CPU is reserved for your VPS
3) You will be allocated 4GB of RAM for your VPS that no other VPS on the host will be able to use (aka, dedicated)
4) Using a software firewall probably, not sure, need to see what the official OVH people say
5) If you're using a software firewall then more than likely but, again, need to see what the official OVH people say.

Basically think of a VPS as your own dedicated server that's hosted off of a primary host server where that host server probably has about 5 or more VPS.

xjetc
2015-08-02, 03:03 PM
I am considering getting a cloud VPS to run a server. It needs HTTP and SQL server, and runs a Java server.

The load on the HTTP and SQL servers are moderate.

But the Java server uses a single CPU, constantly has a moderate load, and uses 200 MB to 300 MB of memory.

My concerns:

1. Will OVH has issue with the Java server running that's constantly using CPU?
2. Will OVH do any throttling on my Java server's CPU?
3. If I get 4GB, how much of the 4GB is dedicated to my VPS and how much is shared?
4. Can I just turn off all UDP traffic before they even reach my server, to prevent UDP flood attacks?
5. If answer to #4 is yes, will those traffic count toward my 10K GB quota?

Thanks

-xj