We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

A few questions about dedicated servers

masgouri
2015-07-15, 03:28 AM
Ahh, I thought so. Which server would you recommend for virtualization? I need something with similar specs (especially in terms of storage)

Phil @ OVH
2015-07-14, 08:47 PM
Hello,

Yes, I was refering to software RAID. I apologize, by the time I was answering your questions about RAID, I had forgotten you were talking about Proxmox. It's true that Proxmox doesn't natively support software RAID. I would not recommend that server if you are going to be running Proxmox in fact. That server is meant for storage, not for virtualization.

Regards,
Phil C.

masgouri
2015-07-13, 03:59 PM
I just looked at the specifications again and it said that for my server (FS-30T) it only supports Software RAID. As far as I know Proxmox doesn't work with software RAID. So how come you were saying that it you guys support RAID 0, 1 and 5? Were you talking about software RAID?

masgouri
2015-07-13, 01:43 PM
Alright, thank you.

And by 30 TB I meant that whether we'd be getting cloud storage or physical storage. Either way, thank you for the information

Phil @ OVH
2015-07-11, 05:05 PM
Hello,

We do not support RAIDZ or RAIDZ2.

The website says 5x6TB drives because you are receiving 5x6TB drives. If you were receiving one 30TB drive, it would say 1x30TB drive. Also, a 30TB drive would be quite a feat in engineering. No such drives exist on the market anywhere.

Regards,
Phil C.

masgouri
2015-07-09, 04:31 PM
A fww more things.

Do you guys support RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 by any chance?

And in the information page for the FS-30T, it says 5x6 TB drives. This means that I are getting 5 drives right? Not just one big 30 TB drive?

masgouri
2015-07-09, 10:40 AM
Thank you for the detailed information once again. I am a little confused about why you don't support RAID 10 though, as it is just a combination of RAID 0 and RAID 1.

Phil @ OVH
2015-07-08, 10:10 PM
Hello,

From my knowledge, our OVH Control Panel does not support RAID 10 as of yet. You do have the choice between RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 5, assuming you have the required amount of disks.

Our monitoring system does periodic test of the integrity of the disks on our servers. If one is close to failing, you will normally receive a notification by email, and we will replace it at your request free of charge.

While RAID 1 and 5 should protect your data in the case of a drive failing, there is always a small risk. As such it is always advisable to keep a backup.

Regards,
Phil C.

masgouri
2015-07-08, 07:09 PM
Thank you for the information, it was very helpful. Also, is there any sort of RAID configuration on the drives (such as RAID 10 for example)? How is it in terms of redundancy? If one drive fails will the entire OS fail? Also, how will I know if a drive does fail and how do I fix it?

Phil @ OVH
2015-07-08, 06:28 PM
Hello,

We give you access to the OVH Control Panel by default, which allows you to install your operating system. Any configuration you need to do beyond that would either be done through the OS interface itself, or through a control panel software such as cPanel or Plesk. Licences for those control panels can be purchased through your OVH account. Proxmox does have a graphical user interface though, so you shouldn't require any additional control panel.

Once your OS is installed, you have full root access over the system; you can install and modify any packages/programs as you see fit.

While we do not provide any software support, you can definitely find guides online to help you with the configuration of the operating system. Also, as far as I know, our installer only supports Ext3 and Ext4 filesystems for Proxmox.

Regards,
Phil C.

masgouri
2015-07-08, 03:07 PM
I am interested in purchasing the FS-30T dedicated server and I just had some questions about how it works.

Am I given some sort of user interface/panel/website to control this server or is it through ssh only?

I am thinking of having Proxmox installed on it and was wondering if there is any sort of guide/tutorial, and how easy the set up would be.

Am I allowed to install any packages/isos' on the server or is there any sort of restriction?

Is it possible to have ZFS set up with the SAS2 drives or are we restricted to whatever file system you give us?

Sorry for the noob questions, I just want to make sure everything is compatible with what I am trying to do.