We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Root No Longer Works!?

Phil @ OVH
2015-04-03, 10:05 AM
Hello

We can definitely assist you with your password issue. However, for obvious security reasons we have no access to your server's root password.

Your server's operating system emailed the password directly to you after the installation was completed, so I would first suggest that you look for that email.

If you have erased the email, or changed the password and now forget it, you'll have to place your server in Rescue Mode and recover it from there. The steps to do this are as follows:

1. Log into your OVH Manager tool, and select the server in question from the Infrastructures list on the left.
2. Under the General Information tab, click the Modify button next to the Boot option.
3. Select the "Boot on rescue mode" option, and from the drop-down menu that appears, select rescue-pro. Click Next, and then click Confirm.
4. Click on the Reboot button in the Manager to restart the server in Rescue Mode.
5. The reboot will generate temporary access codes for the Rescue Mode session. They will be sent to your email.
6. Log into your server's command line through SSH.
7. Display autodetected RAID arrays using the following command:

root@rescue ~ # cat /proc/mdstat

8.If the array does not automatically start, it can be done manually using the following command (These are sample partitions, please use the ones shown on your server):

root@rescue ~ # mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

9. Mount the partition using the following command (replacing the 0 with the correct partition number:

root@rescue ~ # mount /dev/md0 /mnt

10. Then enter:

root@rescue ~ # chroot /mnt

11. Finally, generate your own root password with:

root@rescue ~ # passwd

12. Then go back to the Manager and set the Netboot back to Harddisk, and restart your server

If ever you need help with Rescue Mode, follow this guide:http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-ovh-rescue.html

Regards,
Phil C.

Aiko_
2015-04-02, 10:39 AM
I wake up this morning to find that I can no longer log in as root. I havent set up any other accounts so thats bad as well. My community is growing impatient due to the server downtime.

EDIT: It seems the root password changed for no apparent reason, I havent gotten an email with the new root password