We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

SoYouStart availability - fraud?

Deimos161
2015-01-17, 05:39 PM
It took me a week checking every day to finally get my server. The SYSservers are recycled OVH servers, so they are extremely limited.

Benjamin
2015-01-14, 11:41 AM
There's nothing fraudulent about it. In November I watched the availability constantly, as in manually refreshing the page every few minutes all day for over two weeks, trying to get the exact server I wanted (SYS-IP-2). The "last delivered" time is the last time the server was installed, not the last time one was available. So if 5 servers of one type become available at 3:00 PM on Jan 1, they will all be snapped up within a couple of minutes. Then people have a little while to actually pay for the order, and then someone at SoYouStart sets up the server. (In some cases that involves hardware installation.) As the day goes on, the "last delivered" time may change several times as each server is set up. Despite the changing times, there was only 1 minute of availability at 3:00 PM.

While waiting for my server to become available I saw almost every server type become available at one point or another. I would refresh every 20-30 seconds and within a couple of minutes they were sold out again.

The only discrepancy they have with their "last delivered" times is that the times for "E3-SAT-2" and "E3-SSD-3" are ALWAYS the exact same time. I've seen one or the other come in stock, and no matter what, the last delivered time for both servers is always the same. So somewhere in there they have their wires crossed. Other than that, it's all legit.

Note: If you refresh too often, your IP is banned from seeing the "last delivered" times. I had to change my IP quite a few times.

HTMLtag
2015-01-10, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I didn't have to go to verification, but I think because of the time I ordered, it took a few hours to get my box. It then took about 2 hrs to get my IP's.
I had to call to get approved for > 4ip's also.

As for the 2TB, it was probably a Raid 1 config by default with the OS Template.

It took me longer to get setup, but I encrypt my drives with LUKS prior to loading VMs and fill the partition with urandom data seeded Haveged for increased Entrophy.

I also had an issue with the chipset throwing interrupt errors, so I had to modify my kernel line.

I use Proxmox btw.

back2games
2015-01-10, 04:52 PM
OVH support contacted - (Hugo), and we were able to fix the second drive issue and it was very simple one too.

Even though it is my first day but so far

1) Super Nice Deal
2) Fast Setup and Deliver Time ( Ordered today and got it today)
2) Super Fast Account setup/Verifiication ( Maybe becuase I used Credit Card but it was faster than Hetzneir)
3) Easy Automatic Scripted install (Installed Esxi5.5 in less than 20 minutes)
4) Excellent Post Order Support (Hugo contacted me and offered to resolve/escalate the issue) and a ticket was also opened to track it. There was no asking for more like other providers, who want to cash in whenever they get opprtunity

Thank you OVH

Quote Originally Posted by back2games
I was able to place an order today, I was surprised that i didn't have to validate as I am Canadian and paid by CC. and it took less than and hour for server to be delivered. Not only that I was able to install esxi 5.5 with in 15 minutes. So all in all it took me full 2 hours. I love OVH so far, as installation was automated. The only problem is I am seeing just one drive 2TB, when there should be 2x 2TB. Maybe the other drive is not intialized on esxi 5.5?

I ordered E3-SAT-3 as that is the only one avaiable, I wanted to go with more meory and hard raid config but maybe next time when it becomes avaiable

back2games
2015-01-10, 02:47 PM
I was able to place an order today, I was surprised that i didn't have to validate as I am Canadian and paid by CC. and it took less than and hour for server to be delivered. Not only that I was able to install esxi 5.5 with in 15 minutes. So all in all it took me full 2 hours. I love OVH so far, as installation was automated. The only problem is I am seeing just one drive 2TB, when there should be 2x 2TB. Maybe the other drive is not intialized on esxi 5.5?

I ordered E3-SAT-3 as that is the only one avaiable, I wanted to go with more meory and hard raid config but maybe next time when it becomes avaiable

HTMLtag
2015-01-09, 09:47 PM
I assume you're talking about labs.coffeecupsolutions.com's script. Mine is a custom script and is designed solely for the North America So You Start servers, although it is fairly trivial to implement any other ovh service.

Xyberviri
2015-01-09, 05:48 PM
Oh also that watch script doesn't work for the us/ca server, when it said some where in stock i would click on the link and it would take me to the uk doamin. which is RBX when i wanted to be in BHS

jms1989
2015-01-09, 02:40 PM
I've been wanting a SYS-IP-1 server in Canada but they keep stocking the one in france. can't hardly find any new servers in canada. my current kimsurfi one from 2013 feels limited and the new SYS servers look roomier and have more resources on hand. 4 IPs on my current one vs 16 IPs on the new one, I could sure use em and have the ability to try different OSs without downloading them locally.

Xyberviri
2015-01-09, 10:03 AM
I ordered and received my server on the 23rd last month. I received it in about 6 minutes from the time the first email arrived in my inbox to the time that the install completed.

we ordered another 3 last night and received them about an hour ago.

i think you need to wait, if you submitted your order its in, if they ran out because the widget didn't update at the exact moment they ran out you can either wait for a server or get a refund by contacting support.

HTMLtag
2015-01-08, 06:19 PM
I snagged a SYS-IP-2 this morning. I'm waiting for a SYS-IP-5, but was growing impatient and needed a box to replace a Kimsufi that had a hard drive failure. PM me if you want access to my push notifications. I am wanting to keep it kinda private beta for now. It will notify of availability of any of the SoYouStart Canada servers. I use PushBullet Push Subscriptions, so you can use the free clients on nearly every mobile device, browsers, and stand-alone apps.

thenimh
2015-01-08, 05:31 PM
I snagged one two days ago, an E3-SAT-3. I did not use any special tracking/scraping software to do it. Just keep checking the site everyday till you get lucky.

The customer support agent I talked to did say that it may take a few days before I receive access. Multiple people order the same available server at the same time, and it creates another delay. My server now shows it was deployed yesterday, but not to me, so I must be in a line of some sort.

ChristianL
2015-01-08, 04:20 PM
Just now...

E3-SSD1 was Last delivered on 01/01/2015, now it is 04/01/2015.

The only explanation is that they fake it to give a wrong impression.

HTMLtag
2015-01-04, 04:12 PM
I was feeling the same way, then I decided to implement my own tracker that does push notifications to my computers and mobile devices and I am finding that there are servers available at times, but they usually do not last too long. Note, just monitoring a site that does ajax calls in the background is not going to help you... you have to be creative. Just a few minutes before making this post E3-SSD-3 was available for about 10ish minutes. Last night BK-8T was available a lot as was E3-SAT-2. My tracker does not constantly pound but checks once every so often at random intervals. I suspect many people are using more aggressive monitor code as some get swept up by the time my push notification comes up.

http://i.imgur.com/rqmpjbI.png

Code:
checking...  2015-01-04 03:44:47 PM (Sunday) EST
BK-24T : unavailable
BK-8T : unknown
SYS-IP-5 : unavailable
SYS-IP-5S : unavailable
E3-SAT-4 : unavailable
E3-SSD-4 : unavailable
E3-SSD-2 : unavailable
E3-SSD-3 : 1H-low CHANGED from unavailable
E3-SSD-1 : unavailable
E3-SAT-1 : unavailable
SYS-IP-6S : unavailable
SYS-IP-1 : unavailable
SYS-IP-2 : unavailable
E3-SAT-3 : unavailable
SYS-IP-4 : unavailable
E3-SAT-2 : unavailable
SYS-IP-6 : unavailable
Code:
checking...  2015-01-04 03:57-21 PM (Sunday) EST
BK-24T : unavailable
BK-8T : unknown
SYS-IP-5 : unavailable
SYS-IP-5S : unavailable
E3-SAT-4 : unavailable
E3-SSD-4 : unavailable
E3-SSD-2 : unavailable
E3-SSD-3 : unavailable CHANGED from 1H-low
E3-SSD-1 : unavailable
E3-SAT-1 : unavailable
SYS-IP-6S : unavailable
SYS-IP-1 : unavailable
SYS-IP-2 : unavailable
E3-SAT-3 : unavailable
SYS-IP-4 : unavailable
E3-SAT-2 : unavailable
SYS-IP-6 : unavailable
Also a half an hr or so before, it was also available.

Octopusss
2015-01-02, 05:18 PM
The "Last server delivered..." doesn't mean the server has been subscribed at the same time. For example, in case of verification, a server could have been ordered several days earlier and only delivered "now". Also, "the last delivered" includes ALL subsidiaries of OVH, and there may be a delay to update the site, I don't know. Now, it's still possible that there is no stocks at all, and that OVH displays random delivered times, to pretend there is a continuous sell, I don't know know.

ChristianL
2015-01-02, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I could also get some servers, but there are some specific models that have clearly something wrong going on.

Let me give a more detailed case that happened yesterday.

1- Check the SYS website on 01/01/15 - 19:30, no servers available. (Last delivered on 12/26/14)
2- Then I check it again on 01/02/15 - 13:00, and it says: "Last server delivered yesterday (01/01/15) - 15:50ish"

PS: On the meantime, the servers were being checked on a minute basis, and the select model never came up.

Octopusss
2015-01-02, 01:56 PM
I grabbed some SYS the last few months, so, yes, there is some available. But each time, after placing the order, there was not more stock, so I guess it was only one or two units, it goes immediately. This can be upsetting, but you can't call it "fraudulent". it would be a fraud if OVH was letting you place orders, cashing the money, without delivering. Happy New Year!

ChristianL
2015-01-01, 04:22 PM
Hello,

I've got a script running on ws.ovh* checking the servers 24/7.
Incredibily the script does not recognize any servers available, and suddenly the last server "delivered" on the website changes to a day before.

What the hell is going on?

I've also talked to a number of other clients and they all noticed the same thing.