We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Backdoor Exploit

Octopusss
2014-12-31, 05:43 PM
DannyC, are you understanding what you are saying? In the past, OVH was installing its own SSH key, allowing them to log into your server if needed. I don't know if this is still the case, but if so, you simply remove this key from the SSH file, and that's all. This is a dedicated server, you can do EVERYTHING you want by yourself. Happy new year!

heise
2014-12-31, 02:47 AM
They did the customizations to their Linux distros on purpose the way they did it. There is nothing to fix from their side. If you don't like them, you don't need to use them, as you can see from my signature you can install basically any OS you like and you are also free to undo all and any modification OVH did to the standard distributions. There is no software support what so ever. If you don't like their OS distros they provide for free, change the provider.

DannyC
2014-12-30, 07:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by heise

Servers are unmanaged. No one will do anything for you! You will need to do it yourself.

See my signature how to install Windows or Linux yourself. I also read that in the past OVH distributions included an OVH public key. I cannot confirm if that is still the case. OVH distributions use custom kernels which are often newer than stock kernels (=better hardware support) but sometimes have stability problems. OVH installs their own RTM software. Using custom kernel modules with OVH kernels is a night mare. OVH kernels (in case of CentOS) don't get regular yum updates like the stock kernels. I am sure one can increase this list (almost) endlessly.

Netboot (with OVH kernel) is nice if you have problems in the boot process.

What do you mean by RMRFed?? If you got hacked, I guess it is the software that you installed. Try reinstalling server to fix it.
Its not something I can fix... The problem is something only OVH could fix.

heise
2014-12-30, 05:40 PM
Please fix this!

Servers are unmanaged. No one will do anything for you! You will need to do it yourself.

See my signature how to install Windows or Linux yourself. I also read that in the past OVH distributions included an OVH public key. I cannot confirm if that is still the case. OVH distributions use custom kernels which are often newer than stock kernels (=better hardware support) but sometimes have stability problems. OVH installs their own RTM software. Using custom kernel modules with OVH kernels is a night mare. OVH kernels (in case of CentOS) don't get regular yum updates like the stock kernels. I am sure one can increase this list (almost) endlessly.

Netboot (with OVH kernel) is nice if you have problems in the boot process.

What do you mean by RMRFed?? If you got hacked, I guess it is the software that you installed. Try reinstalling server to fix it.

DannyC
2014-12-30, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine has told me that lots of machines on the OVH network (Mainly Kimsufi I think), have a "Backdoor" on them. Its something planted on the hard drives, that basically sticks an alt onto your dedicated machine. This "Alt" allows them to log into your SSH with their account. This is what I have been told, and it seems to have happened to me, as my dedi was RMRFed... Please fix this! Thanks!