We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Can I change the hostname without breaking everything?

vectr0n
2014-12-05, 07:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
Thank you for responding Hugo. I already have some domain names on the server and am using one domain as the reverse and it does show up when users see the server from outside.

But there are other places that the users see the default hostname, mainly when it comes to email issues. E.g. bounce messages report that the ns#####.ip-###-###-###.net encountered issues sending, and the host name appears in messages that pass between mail servers, etc. Or when a client connects to the server via SSH, they also see the host name. I would prefer that my clients have a more meaningful hostname displayed to them on all of these occasions, even if it's just for them to feel more comfortable that they know what server they're dealing with.

I'm also having issues with SSL, where a user's mail client connecting to their domain on a dedicated IP address with their own SSL certificate still gets a security warning. I'm wondering if that's because the mail server knows the true host name, and if I changed the host name to my.server.com and added an SSL certificate, that issue might go away.

Know what I mean?
You would want to edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and update the default hostname to whatever you want, there are ways to change the hostname without a reboot, but it depends on the OS you are currently using. Just take a look on google on how to change hostname for .

Benjamin
2014-12-05, 04:04 PM
Thank you for responding Hugo. I already have some domain names on the server and am using one domain as the reverse and it does show up when users see the server from outside.

But there are other places that the users see the default hostname, mainly when it comes to email issues. E.g. bounce messages report that the ns#####.ip-###-###-###.net encountered issues sending, and the host name appears in messages that pass between mail servers, etc. Or when a client connects to the server via SSH, they also see the host name. I would prefer that my clients have a more meaningful hostname displayed to them on all of these occasions, even if it's just for them to feel more comfortable that they know what server they're dealing with.

I'm also having issues with SSL, where a user's mail client connecting to their domain on a dedicated IP address with their own SSL certificate still gets a security warning. I'm wondering if that's because the mail server knows the true host name, and if I changed the host name to my.server.com and added an SSL certificate, that issue might go away.

Know what I mean?

Hugo @ OVH
2014-12-05, 03:48 PM
Good day Benjamin,

I simply want to let you know that you can change the hostname of your server by simply updating the "reverse" on your server. To be able to do so, you need to have domain that you can point on your SyS server.

From there, I will suggest you to follow our guide below. It will certainly help you to configure the domain on your server.

http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-dns-con...-configuration

Once it is done, you will see as example "examp.yourdomain.net" in your SyS control panel and over the Internet when somebody look over your IP.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! We are at your disposal 24/7.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Hugo C.
Customer Advocate

Benjamin
2014-12-05, 02:22 PM
I have a SoYouStart dedicated server running smoothly at the moment, and I would like to change the hostname so that I can use something.myowndomain.com instead of the awful ns######.ip-###-###-###.net host name. I am running Plesk control panel and I see that there is the option to change the host name there. The main motivation is to be able to use an SSL certificate on the main server IP.

Have any of you changed your host name before and did you run in to any issues?

Will the SoYouStart control panel still be able to access the server after I change the host name?

Thanks