We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

VPS on dedicated server

Xyberviri
2015-01-09, 01:34 PM
Pointing some one back to the guide that doesn't make sense isn't really being helpful, neither is telling people you don't have issues, because clearly others are having issues, either the instructions aren't clear because something is lost in translation or they are incomplete or incorrect.

What i ended up doing is using pFsense for my firewall, dhcp server and dns server. it also provides me OpenVPN which allows me to remote desktop into all my VMs with out having to map rdp ports to the firewall. These are my notes that i ended up having to do http://pastebin.com/jqmM1pkD

vectr0n
2014-12-28, 06:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Xyberviri
This is what the bridging guide states to use, however this information is wrong, at least it doesn't work with wheezy (Debian 7).
Code:
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
    address IP.FAIL.OVER
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast IP.FAIL.OVER
    post-up route add GATEWAY_VM dev eth0
    post-up route add default gw GATEWAY_VM
    pre-down route del GATEWAY_VM dev eth0
    pre-down route del default gw GATEWAY_VM
no matter what i would see nothing under routes -n

This is what i ended up putting into /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address IP.FAIL.OVER
    netmask 255.255.255.255

up ip route add GATEWAY_VM dev eth0
up ip route add default via GATEWAY_VM
this also works too
Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address IP.FAIL.OVER
  netmask 255.255.255.255
  gateway GATEWAY_VM
  pointopoint GATEWAY_VM
Im using ESXi 5.0 with a /30
I have no issues with any OS on ESXi with the /32 configuration. If you are trying to use the /30 block (1 usable ip) then you would not follow the guide for /32's. You would use the information that was provided to you in the IP allocation email. You will have to set ALL the IP's to the ONE vmac of the MAIN ip in the /30 for it to work, by not using the correct network configuration the network bots will email you and stop traffic to the ip that is not configured properly.

Xyberviri
2014-12-27, 02:04 AM
This is what the bridging guide states to use, however this information is wrong, at least it doesn't work with wheezy (Debian 7).
Code:
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
    address IP.FAIL.OVER
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast IP.FAIL.OVER
    post-up route add GATEWAY_VM dev eth0
    post-up route add default gw GATEWAY_VM
    pre-down route del GATEWAY_VM dev eth0
    pre-down route del default gw GATEWAY_VM
no matter what i would see nothing under routes -n

This is what i ended up putting into /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address IP.FAIL.OVER
    netmask 255.255.255.255

up ip route add GATEWAY_VM dev eth0
up ip route add default via GATEWAY_VM
this also works too
Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address IP.FAIL.OVER
  netmask 255.255.255.255
  gateway GATEWAY_VM
  pointopoint GATEWAY_VM
Im using ESXi 5.0 with a /30

vectr0n
2014-11-28, 10:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by omegaconcepts
Thanks for your help. I switched to VMware and was able to install virtual machines. Right now I'm facing new problems.

On Windows VM there's no internet connection. VMware assigned some kind of IP to the VM but I think it might be bogus as I don't have this IP on my server so that could be the problem. (I ordered a new IP from Soyoustart and will try to assign it manually...)

On Ubuntu VM I'm having a problem to instal VMware tools via VMware interface and since internet does not work, there is no other way to install, right?
You should find your answers here: http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-network-ipaliasing.html

omegaconcepts
2014-11-28, 09:26 AM
Thanks for your help. I switched to VMware and was able to install virtual machines. Right now I'm facing new problems.

On Windows VM there's no internet connection. VMware assigned some kind of IP to the VM but I think it might be bogus as I don't have this IP on my server so that could be the problem. (I ordered a new IP from Soyoustart and will try to assign it manually...)

On Ubuntu VM I'm having a problem to instal VMware tools via VMware interface and since internet does not work, there is no other way to install, right?

vectr0n
2014-11-27, 08:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by omegaconcepts
Hi,
I recently purchased dedicated server and I want to turn it into several Virtual Machines (VPS).

#1. Which installation would you recommend? VMware, Hyper-V, Virtuozzo or anything else? I would like to be able to have Linux and Windows servers.

#2. I can't figure out how to install Windows Server. In the installation dropdowns, there is no such option. I even created Server 2008 + Virtuozzo installation template but it's not available in the drop down. Do you have some kind of instruction manual that I can follow?

#3. Right now I have Hyper-V installed. Assuming I create several virtual machines, how do I install operating system on them? I also saw that I need to purchase licenses for Windows Servers. Is it 1 license per server or per virtual machine? Can I have several virtual machines (VPS) with Windows Server using one license?

Also, when I go to order a license for Virtuozzo Containers for Windows, it says that OS does not appear to be Virtuozzo 4 but it's not available to install... So what do I do?

Thanks,
- Alex
#1 - You are better off to do research on each of the products and make a choice as to what's going to be best for your situation. I personally run Proxmox and have had no issues with it. I have been able to run a Windows VM without issue.

#2 - Please verify that Windows is available to be installed on the server you have chosen, not all SYS servers are Windows compatible. This could be why it is not showing in the drop down list. All templates will show when you create a installation template, but you will find you can't use them all. It again come's down to if the server hardware supports it.

#3 - You should find all your Hyper-V answers located here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/w.../dd448604.aspx

heise
2014-11-27, 02:13 AM
#1 - I like plain CentOS 7, install gui and vncserver and virt-manager with KVM. Then manage everything through vnc running at 64 or 256 colors.

#2 - You need to rent licence from OVH or add your own one to the manager. Then you can install Windows on server automatically. Manually you should be able to install Windows following link in signature.

#3 - No idea about Hyper-V. Regarding Windows in VM, check Windows licence.

No idea about Virtuozzo.

omegaconcepts
2014-11-26, 11:05 PM
Hi,
I recently purchased dedicated server and I want to turn it into several Virtual Machines (VPS).

#1. Which installation would you recommend? VMware, Hyper-V, Virtuozzo or anything else? I would like to be able to have Linux and Windows servers.

#2. I can't figure out how to install Windows Server. In the installation dropdowns, there is no such option. I even created Server 2008 + Virtuozzo installation template but it's not available in the drop down. Do you have some kind of instruction manual that I can follow?

#3. Right now I have Hyper-V installed. Assuming I create several virtual machines, how do I install operating system on them? I also saw that I need to purchase licenses for Windows Servers. Is it 1 license per server or per virtual machine? Can I have several virtual machines (VPS) with Windows Server using one license?

Also, when I go to order a license for Virtuozzo Containers for Windows, it says that OS does not appear to be Virtuozzo 4 but it's not available to install... So what do I do?

Thanks,
- Alex