We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

VMware and IP weirdness

ichpen
2014-11-02, 10:50 AM
Figured it out.

For the record SYS-SSD servers working perfectly with ESXi 5.5 U2.

vectr0n
2014-10-27, 10:36 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ichpen
OK after many many many hours of trying everything I ordered another /30 block of IPs. Same configuration, same host and guess what, they work perfectly.

OVH Support, I've sent you 4 or 5 emails in the last 3 days and no response. Please can you at least get me another /30 IP block for ns508145.ip-192-99-15.net as the one I moved over is unuseable. Thanks.
They don't normally reply on weekends, unless it's an intervention when the hardware fails.

ichpen
2014-10-26, 11:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ichpen
Hi ladies and gents,

Long story here but maybe someone with some vmware experience can help.

I have 2 SYS servers. For the purpose of this I shall label them server A & B. B is a new server, A is an identical server that I'm trying to migrate to a virtual machine on B.

I moved an /30 IP block from B to A, setup vMAC (btw, what a pain in the arse to use vmware with vmacs, I can't begin to explain).

Now I'm trying to virtualize the entire server B onto server A using vmware standalone converter.

I have it to the point where it connects, installs the converter VM on the target (at which point I have to ssh to the helper vm, and do a bunch of things before it can talk to the client and the source it i.e. add the vmac, add the new default gw etc etc). The problem I'm experiencing now is that any VM in that IP block that I moved cannot ping or reach server B. It can connect/ping to the outside world but for whatever reason server B is unreachable. VMs on this block (including the converter VM) can be reached from server B and the outside world.

So very strange situation and my inexperience with vmware is evidently showing here.

I've logged a ticket with the staff here but thought I'd throw it out there in the mean time.

Appreciate any guidance.

P.S. It's definitely not a firewall issue. It's very specific to the IP block as I can ping between the 2 hosts easily.
OK after many many many hours of trying everything I ordered another /30 block of IPs. Same configuration, same host and guess what, they work perfectly.

OVH Support, I've sent you 4 or 5 emails in the last 3 days and no response. Please can you at least get me another /30 IP block for ns508145.ip-192-99-15.net as the one I moved over is unuseable. Thanks.

ichpen
2014-10-24, 10:22 AM
Hi ladies and gents,

Long story here but maybe someone with some vmware experience can help.

I have 2 SYS servers. For the purpose of this I shall label them server A & B. B is a new server, A is an identical server that I'm trying to migrate to a virtual machine on B.

I moved an /30 IP block from B to A, setup vMAC (btw, what a pain in the arse to use vmware with vmacs, I can't begin to explain).

Now I'm trying to virtualize the entire server B onto server A using vmware standalone converter.

I have it to the point where it connects, installs the converter VM on the target (at which point I have to ssh to the helper vm, and do a bunch of things before it can talk to the client and the source it i.e. add the vmac, add the new default gw etc etc). The problem I'm experiencing now is that any VM in that IP block that I moved cannot ping or reach server B. It can connect/ping to the outside world but for whatever reason server B is unreachable. VMs on this block (including the converter VM) can be reached from server B and the outside world.

So very strange situation and my inexperience with vmware is evidently showing here.

I've logged a ticket with the staff here but thought I'd throw it out there in the mean time.

Appreciate any guidance.

P.S. It's definitely not a firewall issue. It's very specific to the IP block as I can ping between the 2 hosts easily.